Sunday 20 October 2013

Tester is a bridge between Team and Client, which is built on Quality!!!

Hi Readers.

I am back with a a new thought today. Lets discuss on this.

I have always admired thought of my clients and like to discuss on Testing with them. The business user or client are the one who the application is being built for and they are the best folks, who can explain us how its going to be used.

Tester are the person who knows the most about the functionality of the application after user. When a Tester takes application knowledge from the client, he/ she actually learns, how the application is going to be used when it goes live. And that knowledge helps tester to test the application better.

Let me share an example with you. It was a time when I joined a new company. As a normal practice I started observing and discussing with user about application usage. While observing, I found that user prefers to use tabs and spaces while going through fields of the application. In the new build there were few new business critical screens added for the new release. Hence, while testing the application I found that with functionality bugs there was also a defect that the tabs of the new screen fields are not set properly. Hence I logged this issue as a a high priority defect along with other defects. But on application release this issue was ignored, as it was categorized as low severity design defect. When the application was used by the client on production, they found it difficult to use as this slowed down their productivity and we ended up doing an emergency release to fix this issue.

The above issue reflects the need of understanding users mind and requirement. This is a very simple example. But in actual, user knowledge on the application is far more critical and important, which is crucial for tester to understand.

User or client has been my best teacher in my testing career. I keep my product knowledge updated with the help of client. I like to observe client working on the application or listen to user, when he/ she explains about the application and their expectation from the application. Its my regular practice to keep my domain knowledge updated to help the client to best of my ability. In one way, I can say that I try to become a real user while Testing the application.

User is the final Tester of the application. And like one of my manager (thanks to Mr. Eric) told me once, "Tester is a bridge between Team and Client, which is built on Quality", its our responsibility to give a quality product to the user. And as per my view, this is one of the best way to assure that user gets a Quality Product.

What do you say friends? I would like to know your views and ideas on this.

With this I sign off today. Until the next blog post, Happy Testing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment